Thursday, July 3, 2014

Timing

     I have been learning over the last few weeks that, as the saying goes, timing is everything. We waited to plant our gardens because the right time had arrived and so plants went in. I've written about timing and production goals when it comes to breeding the rabbits and producing rabbit meat and while all that theory holds true it doesn't take into account problems. There are problems of weather, problems of conception and then there are problems of the gut. Our buck has experienced slow GI motility which in layman's terms is a slowing of digestion resulting in loss of appetite, weight loss and general decline of health. I have been trying various treatments with limited success but when introduced to a doe Chase, our buck, sat in the corner with no interest. It is a funny thing that a few weeks ago a friend who also has been raising New Zealand White rabbits told me he was getting out of raising rabbits. He said he a large litter ready for processing and asked if I was interested in taking them. I said yes,as I always have more orders than I can fill, and picked them up a few days later. When I went to his rabbitry I saw a doe I wanted and a beautiful buck which I told him I'd love but couldn't use since I was still relying on Chase.
      Well as I learned timing is everything. I processed the kits and then built hutches to accommodate new litters, big litters. I attempted to breed Chase with the does and as I said earlier there was no interest so I thought I need a buck now. I placed the call and my friend did not return my call but I wasn't too concerned as he's a busy man and sometimes it's several days before I hear from him. Well a week went by and I made another call and still no answer. Kathy and I had made arrangements to deliver rabbit meat to her aunt in Massachusetts and I thought we'll stop by after and give him the money owed for the kits and pick up the doe and the buck. We made the promised delivery and stopped by my friend's house only to find that someone had taken every rabbit he had. Needless to say I was disappointed but I gave my friend his share of the money and I learned a hard lesson that day, strike while the iron is hot because timing is everything.
      I will of course continue on the path, I will stay the course and learn from my mistakes. I will at some point catch the break I need and then timing will be on my side. Kathy and I will find the right place in Vermont to start our farm and things will fall into place. I have to think this way because farming is difficult and nothing is guaranteed. We are determined to learn our lessons and gain our experience so that when the timing is right we'll be ready because timing is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment