Sunday, July 13, 2014

Tenacity

   We have all heard that word before and it has been used and overused in many situations but I have found the farming and animal husbandry takes tenacity. I have written about persistence which is a cousin to tenacity and both are required in our little project. Tenacity is described as doggedness, stubbornness, the quality or fact of being able to grip something firmly. I like this last definition of the word because that is what our farm project requires. We have gripped onto an idea firmly and are unwilling to let it go regardless of the challenges. Kathy and I believe that we can raise meat and vegetables to feed our family and supplement our income on our little farm regardless of the problems of which there have been many. There are many things going on right now that could discourage us from the project and at times I think that perhaps tilling everything under and planting a new lawn would be our best course of action. I water and plant, I pull weeds and pluck bugs and I cling to the idea that our little farm in the city is worth it.
   We have grasped onto this idea firmly and won't let go. We have had to change our plans and adapt in the face of difficulty. This week I borrowed a buck from a friend to breed our does with and although he doesn't conform to my standard of the rabbit breed he was willing and will provide litters to fill our meat needs. I have also resolved myself to the fact that Chase may never return to prime condition and so have saved one of his offspring for the future, we may not need him but better safe than sorry. I have firmly grasped the idea that our rabbitry will be a success and am taking steps to assure that outcome. I have taken steps to continue our farm and make sure our vision goes on this has required some degree of tenacity. Kathy and I sat on the patio and discussed what we might do differently next year without a thought of giving up. We talked about bee hive placement, crop rotation and weed control and never spoke about a new lawn. We talked about refining our rabbits and getting the best production we could from them but never spoke of selling them off. We have a vision for our little farm project and hope to be an example of what two people with a 1/10 of an acre of land can do to provide for themselves and their community. This vision requires tenacity and if you continue follow us I believe you'll see what this firm grasp of an idea can accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! It is wonderful to hear how tenacious you've decided to be,you and your wife! Farming is never easy, but the harvest makes it worth it all. Happy to hear that you've found a buck to breed the does with temporarily and hopefully, Chase' s son will fill the bill next time round!! Looking forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete