Saturday, May 3, 2014

Dirty Hands

    Today was a productive day at Late Bloomer Farm. All the winter debris was removed and taken to the local transfer station, the garden plots were tilled, cabbage and brussel sprout plants were planted. The front garden plot was tilled and a small trench was dug to receive the seed potatoes that will grow there for the last time for a few years. I had been thinking about the things I wanted to accomplish today and even took some personal time from work to get it all done. During the week I made a mental list of things to get done while I was working at my regular job. My full time job is in the large commercial tire business, we change tractor trailer, farm equipment and construction equipment tires. I have also spent a number of years in the auto service trade and both involve getting your hands dirty.
    I hate the dirty hands that accompany both those jobs and wear latex gloves to protect my hands from the grime that soils my hands while I perform my job. Many people look down on people with dirty hands as it indicates that you work a menial job and who knows what's under your fingernails! I tend to hate that kind of grime myself, there is something I really dislike about having grease or oil on my skin. The fact that this man made stuff  is contaminating my skin dives me crazy, who knows what these carcinogenic materials are doing to me. 
    Then there is real dirt, not man made but God made, the stuff that the earth is made of and really it's not even dirt. Dirt is devoid of value, the dust created by over use and blasted by chemical fertilizers. Dirt is what our factory farms are creating but soil is something different. Soil is that dark rich smelling stuff that makes plants grow well. Soil is rich with microorganisms, holds water droplets on each little facet, smells sweet when crumbled and makes the plants grown in it thrive. While I was tilling and planting today I looked at the at the soil I've rehabilitated from dirt, it's had garden compost and rabbit manure added to it for a number of years now, and I could finally detect that rich sweet smell coming up from the freshly tilled earth. I looked at my dirty hands and felt proud, my hands were covered with a layer of that rich soil and I didn't feel dirty. I felt instead a deep sense of accomplishment and had no urge to wear some protective hand covering. This was God's soil just as He meant it to be, healthy, vibrant, rich, sweet and able to grow the best of what He has given us to grow and enjoy. I think that given the choice I'd choose hands dirty with God's soil any time.

1 comment:

  1. God gives us what we need. I love reading about your small farm!

    ReplyDelete