Friday, April 4, 2014

Anticipation

Anticipation is a funny word because it describes so many things, if you don't believe that look up the definition on line. One thing it can mean is a foretaste and that happened this February during a particularly cold and snowy winter. The weather has been tough this year for a lot of folks but if you raise rabbits or have gardens it seemed like the never ending winter. The rabbits who will normally breed when coaxed wanted nothing to do with each other, oh sure the buck would try but those does knew this winter was bad and that having kits during this stretch would be a bad idea. Then it happened a little three day thaw in the middle of a never ending cycle of bone chilling cold and days of stormy weather. I had resigned myself to waiting for balmier days of March before even trying to breed the rabbits again or thinking about spring planting. I dared not even dream of furry little kits and green things as I looked out at ice and snow covered garden plots and rabbit hutches being warmed by heat lamps. Then there it was a little warm up and as I felt the warmer air and the effect of a now higher sun the wheels began to turn and quick calculations were going on in my head. A rabbits gestation period is 28 to 32 days and my mind started figuring when I could anticipate the kits arrival and their probably of survival if I bred the does that weekend. I thought it would be worth the chance, after all the end of March can be warm and those rabbit mamas have lots of fur to pull to keep the babies warm. In a quick calculation the decision was made and the does were introduced to the buck and in three very willing visits the next generation of kits was conceived. It was like the foretaste of spring, like the anticipation of things turning green again and the taste of fresh lettuce and greens on my tongue. The weather turned bad again but no matter the rabbits and I had our foretaste of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment